Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the SFVBA Mandatory Fee Arbitration (MFA) Program has issued a set of Emergency Rules regarding Mandatory Fee Arbitrations.
The Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program provides the opportunity to have a neutral arbitrator decide the appropriate amount of attorney’s fees for professional services. Fee Arbitration is mandatory for the lawyer if the client elects to have the dispute resolved through an MFA program.
Once you receive a written notice from your attorney of your right to arbitrate, you have 30 days from the date you received it to file a request for arbitration on the forms provided below. Your Request for Arbitration on the approved form must be submitted to our office within 30 days from receipt of the notice from your attorney; the form must be completely filled out and any filing fee included. Failure to properly file may constitute a waiver of your right to request or maintain arbitration. A telephone call or a letter will not protect that right.
The San Fernando Valley Bar Association is not authorized to discipline attorneys. If you believe your attorney has committed malpractice or professional misconduct and you wish to file a formal complaint with the State Bar of California, call (800) 843-9053, visit the State Bar website,or submit the following complaint form.
FEE ARBITRATION RULES AND CODES
FEE ARBITRATION CLIENT FORMS
- Client Fee Arbitration Package
- Client Request for Arbitration
- San Fernando Valley Bar Association Rules of Procedure for Fee Arbitrations
- Fee Waiver Package
- Notice of Automatic Stay
- What Can the Mandatory Fee Arbitration Program Do for Me
- Preparing for the Fee Arbitration Hearing
- Notice of Your Rights After Arbitration
FEE ARBITRATION ATTORNEY FORMS
FEE ARBITRATION INFORMATION AND FORMS FOR FEE ARBITRATORS
- Application for Appointment to the Fee Arbitration Panel
- State Bar Fee Arbitration Advisories
- Case Summaries: An Appendix of Cases Relevant to Issues in Mandatory Fee Arbitration
- Fee Arbitrator Training Outline
- Waiver of Personal Appearance
- Procedures for Issuing a Subpoena
- Subpoena and Subpoena Duces Tecum
- Arbitration Award Checklist
- Hearing Procedure Script/Checklist Outline