WHY THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY BAR ASSOCIATION IS A
The San Fernando Valley Bar Association is one of the largest regional bar associations in the United States. The Association’s nearly 2000 members―attorneys, paralegals, law students and professionals in related disciplines―serve the entire San Fernando Valley of more than 1,750,000 residents. The SFVBA is a leader in the civic affairs of the Valley.
Despite the size of its membership and the area it serves, SFVBA members are not just cogs in a wheel. The Association offers a collegial and welcoming environment, and makes a concerted effort to have a wide range of activities and an open membership so that it is enjoyable and easy to make yourself heard and to take an active and distinctive role in the future of the bar association as well as the community it serves.
Provides Benefits That Its Members Need
- Free access to Fastcase (on-line legal research tool)
- Discounts on, and convenient access to, participatory and self-study MCLE, including access to attendance records maintained by SFVBA for State Bar audit purposes
- Discounts/special programs on attorney support services (malpractice insurance, health insurance, messenger services, etc.)
- Discount on Los Angeles County Bar membership
- Discount on SFVBA conference room rentals, including free and convenient parking
- Ability to advertise in Valley Lawyer magazine
- Subscription to monthly distribution of Valley Lawyer magazine, plus regular mailings, web postings, Facebook and Twitter access, and other social media contact.
- Complimentary copy of the SFVBA biennial Membership Directory
- Ability to join the SFVBA Attorney Referral Service at a discounted price, to receive quality referrals
- Ability to participate in programs for the public such as the Modest Means and Senior Citizens Legal Programs
Attorneys (and Paralegals) “Must Have” What the SFVBA Provides
- Opportunities to network with attorneys, accountants and other professionals to gain business and to make contacts with people that can help you be of service to your clients, including quarterly mixers FREE to members
- Opportunities to connect with judges and dignitaries at SFVBA events
- Opportunities to join sections to gain access to attorneys and judges, and keep current on developments, in your fields of particular interest and concentration
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored
- Opportunities to publish articles in Valley Lawyer (available only to members)
- Personal and welcomed contact with the SFVBA Board members and staff so that the Bar better attains your needs and wants
- Opportunities to help the community, including Blanket the Homeless, the Horace Mann project and the Valley Community Legal Foundation
- Opportunities for quickly attaining leadership roles in the SFVBA, including Section, Committee, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee roles, which allow members to shape programs and the direction of the Association
- Opportunity to be part of an organization that is a leader in promoting diversity in the legal profession, including participating in the Multicultural Bar Alliance
- Regularly participating in meetings and other activities avoids “stagnation” and becoming bored and jaded with your practice―and is fun!