The San Fernando Valley Bar Association is working with Neighborhood Legal Services of LA County (NLSLA), the American Bar Association (ABA) Young Lawyer Division (YLD), and elected officials, along with multiple legal service providers, to create a coordinated disaster legal services response to the devastating Woolsey Fire.
In the aftermath of the wildfire, survivors face a wide variety of legal problems and barriers to recovery. This holiday season, the SFVBA is inviting its members to participate in disaster legal services and pro bono efforts, including brief phone assistance, staffing Disaster Assistance Centers (DAC), in person assistance at know-your-rights workshops, community forums and legal aid clinics.
VOLUNTEER YOUR SERVICES
- SFVBA will be coordinating with CalBar to get volunteers. Register at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CAFireProBono
- Pepperdine Disaster Relief Clinic needs volunteer lawyers to receive pro bono cases by referral from the Disaster Relief Clinic. Sign up here: https://law.pepperdine.edu/experiential-learning/clinical-education/clinics/disaster-relief-clinic/
- Woolsey Legal Hotline for free legal help: 800-870-0732
- FEMA: 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585)
- S. Small Business Assistance: 800-659-2955
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance: 800-300-5616
OTHER HELPFUL LINKS
- The State Bar of California Google folder which acts as a clearinghouse for materials and resources, including training materials, news, and press releases
- California ChangeLawyers (formerly, California Bar Foundation)’s Fire Disaster Relief Fund is currently open. It can be found at this link: https://www.changelawyers.org/rapid-response.html